Friday 24 June 2016

Being a mama is tough!

They say life goes downhill once you reach the age of 21 - I have never believed this. The things life brings you at 21 are in no way, shape or form...bad.

My life pretty much began after reaching 21. The best thing I can name to date, the birth of my son.
But...being a mama is hard. No matter how many anti-natal classes you attend, no matter how many baby books you read, and no matter how many 'friends' give you advice, nothing prepares you for the sleepless nights, the reflux, the colic, the clinginess, the changing from breastfeeding to formula because your body isn't producing enough milk due to blood loss. The list is endless.

I bought one or two baby books, with an open mind of course, and read them cover to back. I also attended numerous 'recommended' anti-natal classes to prepare me for labour, birth and beyond. Yes I understood how baby comes out, yes I understand my medicinal choices once in labour, all of which is forgotten about once in labour may I add!

None of the books, advice or anti-natal classes (that I have experienced) explained what to do when your baby wakes in the middle of the night, inconsolably screaming. None of the advice tells you that it is okay to have five minutes of weakness to cry to yourself when the going gets tough.

My little boy is almost 11 months old and I still have nights where I think, those damn books and anti-natal classes never taught me about how to soothe a screaming baby when he is crippled with trapped wind.

It's tough! My son's routine has changed probably around five or six times since birth, once we get a nice routine established, it changes and causes mayhem, and usually upsets my little one.

It is undeniably the most rewarding and satisfying job in the world. And I call it a job whole heartedly because, it really is hard work. There are no sick days, no holidays, no days off, no 'end of shift', no toilet breaks, no time to eat alone, no time to pee alone. Just mama and baby, twenty four seven.

So although this first blog post might seem a little more of a rant than anything else, for any other mama's who feel like they struggle sometimes. Please remember, you're not alone, we ROCK as mama's and we're all doing an amazing job. Just hang in there and cherish every moment with your little blessing.

Gillian.x

No comments:

Post a Comment